Many homes from the ’80s, ’90s and early 2000s have what I like to call a drywall built-in which includes niches for the tv and niches for decorative items. This immediately dates the home. The easiest way to add beauty and value to your home is to remodel the fireplace in your family room or great room!
Let’s talk about what you need to know before beginning the remodeling process…
· New gas fireplaces range between 3k to 7k and up, depending on the size
· Venting – Old gas fireplaces have a 6” diameter venting system. New gas fireplaces have an 8” diameter venting system.
o If your current venting is a direct vent (which means the vent penetrates the outside wall), expect to incur charges for exterior repairs to accommodate the 8” venting. Siding and Paint
o If the venting penetrates through the roofline, expect roof repairs! This can be somewhat costly. The 8” venting can also pose issues through the roof rafters. There may not be enough space to accommodate the 8”. The venting system can only make one 90-degree turn
· Wood Burning fireplaces are only zoned for certain counties in Colorado with very strict guidelines. The inserts can be very expensive.
· Installation – Have the showroom you purchased the fireplace install the fireplace. This ensures all warranties will be honored and codes are strictly enforced. The fireplace installers will only install the venting and fireplace. Everything needs to be prepared by the General Contractor. The new fireplace may need the gas line and electrical to be moved to accommodate the new fireplace hookups. The GC is responsible for this as well as making sure all venting will fit.
· Overall Costs for a medium to large fireplace remodel
o Reframing for new Fireplace – $2000
o Electrical – $300
o Gas Line – $350
o Drywall (cement board) $1000
o Mason – $4000
o Stone – $1500
o Mantel – $1000
A new fireplace changes the entire space into a warm & welcoming space for friends and family! This is a wonderful way to change the look of your home that you’ll be able to enjoy for years to come and if you decide to sell your home, the remodeled fireplace will add great value to your home.